Tuesday 13 August 2013

Life: Simple and Slow! Lesson #2: Computer

So I've showed the back story of why I want to do this, so now its on to the first tips!
I have been trying to live more environmentally friendly at the same time as this, so I will be telling some simple things that I do, in order to be kinder to the environmentally friendly.

Tip #1
Okay, the first lesson I want to talk to you about is how to better organize online. I have done this and it has made me work that much more efficiently.
I had a lot of email subscriptions that I either no longer are interested in or that I only signed up for something free at the beginning. My first tip is going to be unsubscribe from all useless email subscriptions. Seems like an easy first step, and it is! The next step I did was to go through all 589 unread emails (and a stack load of already read) and delete all the ones that were part of the first step, or no longer relevant. Doing both of these steps made my email smoother and I can now actually find what I am looking for.


Tip #2
If you guys are anything like me, you have folders and folders of downloaded things, pictures, music, videos and documents. In fact, my computer was so full of stuff that I have all of it on two separate laptop hard drives. But that has all changed now! I went through all my folders, and either named it properly, or deleted it. I also dated all of my photo albums to make it easier to search through them. As I am sitting here typing this, my boyfriend is on our main computer doing exactly this. We weirdly have similar thoughts without even talking about it.
I am still in the process of getting stuff off my other laptop, but so far, this one is pretty good.


Tip #3
I love reading blogs. I'm sure most bloggers do. I used to have a bookmarks bar that was so full of bookmarks that it took ages for the browser to load. Since then, I found bloglovin' so that is now my main place for 'storing' all my favorite blogs in an easily accessible way. I found the same thing with websites and general places that you find you like. If I find a website I want to look at again, or to regularly keep up to date with, I write down the home screen address in the notebook that I carry with me everywhere. That way (since I always have it with me), I can find it if I need it. Another thing I have heard people use is just a simple Word document.


Well, I think that is a pretty good start!  Remember these are all strategies that I am putting in place for my own life as I go along, so if there is anything that you can recommend that you do thats easier or better in some way, let me know!

Thanks for reading my ramblings!









No comments:

Post a Comment